Pages


Thursday 1 August 2013

Psalm 62


Psalm 61:3, 5-8
How long will you assault me?
Would all of you throw me down—
this leaning wall, this tottering fence? 
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
 My salvation and my honour depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
 Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.
 The lesson I want to draw out from these verses is simple: We are weak and have nothing to boast in, but God is all powerful and we can trust in him.

David was the king of Israel, the most powerful man in in a powerful nation. Instead of boasting about this, he instead sees his true condition before God - he is a "tottering fence", a "leaning wall" that is about to fall over.

No matter who we are, we are weak. We sin, we stuff up and we don't really have that much power or influence on the events around us. We deserve God's wrath and we cannot change that ourselves. We are surrounded by things that could go wrong, and we can't really save ourselves out of them or control them. We can try, but we won't succeed anything except maybe false assurance.

Yet there is hope - If we are Christians then our sins are forgiven. We can find rest in God. He forgives us and he protects us. He is our fortress, our salvation. He is the rock that we can set our feet on and trust in because he does not change and he is all powerful. Trust in God at all times!

Don't set your eyes on yourself. Don't be proud or self-righteous. Instead look to God who is all powerful and who offers true salvation. We can be confident in him, but any confidence we have in ourselves is not well grounded. God is all powerful, we are weak. God saves, we sin and cannot save ourselves or even change our actions to serve him without his help. It is truly foolish to ignore God and to continue to trust in yourself. It is foolish to choose to be protected by your own tottering fence then God's mighty fortress that never fails.

We have nothing to be proud about. Praise God and put your trust in him!


Psalm 62:1-2
Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment