Pages


Thursday 4 July 2013

No room for Racism

Romans 10:12-13
For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
What is Racism?

At its core Racism is pride. It's thinking that I'm better than someone else because of my heritage or the colour of my skin or the shape of my eyes. It's a subtle but very real form of pride and there is no one that it doesn't effect.

Yep, I just said that we're all racist. It's true isn't it? We all see certain types of people and automatically make judgements about them. We put them in a box and we feed our pride in doing so.

There is No room for Racism in Christianity.

The whole point of the gospel is that God, who could rightfully condemn us for eternity to his wrath and to shame sent his son. Jesus humbled himself, became a man suffered and died in our place, then rose again. Why? To save us.

Humility is one of the main themes of the bible and should be one of the main themes of the Christian life. If Racism is pride (as I explained above) then it has no place in the life of a Christian.

Aside from that, "there is no difference between Jew and Gentile" - God is God over all people. We are all sinful, we are all equal, we all need Jesus and we are all saved the same way: "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved". Likewise we are all richly blessed eternally if we are Christians, no matter what our skin type is.

I think that's the only way to fight Racism: When we have a racist thought we need to catch it and think it through in light of the gospel.

  • If God created that person as well as me, then what right do I have to think I'm better than them?
  • If Jesus came to die for me when I didn't deserve it, and if I am sinful like that person, how can I be racist to them? We are all equals.
  • Since we are all sinful, if that person isn;t a Christian they need Jesus regardless of their skin colour, just like I do/did. We can't be racist and share the gospel effectively to the whole world like Jesus tells us to in Matthew 28:18-20.
  • If I'm going to spend eternity with that person (assuming they are a Christian and I am as well) how can I be racist toward them here?

Galatians 3:28
"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Are you honest with yourself about your racism? Are you trying to get rid of it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment