Pages


Monday 17 June 2013

Being Content



1 Timothy 6:6-8
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

I was thinking this afternoon about contentedness. It is so easy to get caught up in life and want things to be better without being thankful for what we have. Here are a few of my thoughts:

  • Discontentedness is similar to idolatry. It's wanting something better and not being fully satisfied in God. If we are trusting God and if we love him as we should, then we have no reason to not be content with what he gives us. If we trust his words from Romans 8:28 that he works in everything for the good of his people, then why wouldn't we be happy with whatever he gives and does in our lives?

  • On that theme, it is often the things in our lives which we put before God which we are not content with. For me, it is often my friendships which I worry about. What if my friends don't like me? What if they don't actually care about me? What if they won't want any contact after school? I find myself wanting closer and better friendships. Why? Because so often I find that I want the approval of my friends more than God's approval.

  • If we are not trusting in God or content in what he gives, we will never be content with anything. Our friendships could always be better or closer. We could always have more money. We could always have more time. We have no reason to be content in what we have if we take God out of the picture, because there is always something better.

  • We have everything we need to be content. God has commanded us to be content with what we have (Hebrews 13:5), and he never allows us to be tempted beyond what we can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13), therefore he has given us exactly what we need to be content and rejoice in him.

  • Being content in God is best way for us to glorify him. In the words of John Piper: "God Is Most Glorified In Us When We Are Most Satisfied In Him". If we are content in God, then we will be rejoicing in God and glorifying him.
I have so many things going on in my life right now, but that's what God hit home to me today, and it is what I so often fail in. I get worried, I get annoyed and frustrated but instead I need to love God and be thankful for all he has done for me.

Why can we be content no matter what's going on in our lives? Because if we are Christians we have:

  1. Complete forgiveness of sins in Jesus
  2. Adoption as God's children
  3. Eternal life in heaven with him, in God's presence with no fear or pain or sin.
  4. A sure hope (heaven) which is reason to not fear earthly trouble
  5. God's many promises that he will preserve and sustain us and grow us. That even though we will suffer, he is good and faithful and just. He does not change, he does not lie and we can trust him 100%.
If you are not content with what you have, why would you be content with anything else? The more we have, the more we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment